Monday, March 25, 2013

Macho Men

            All right so what I don't understand is how we're in the twentieth century yet there are still men out there that think they can talk down to women. What part of society these days has made it all right for men to think they can still treat women like they are beneath them? I thought after all the struggles women had to go through so that we could be treated equally would have sunk in by now. What gives a man the right to treat a woman with disrespect especially when they had done nothing to warrant that kind of behavior? Would a man want their son to grow up treating women without any kind of respect? I know if my son were to treat women like they were a lesser being I would be ashamed of that child. 
            For example I work for a company called Lifetouch so our studios are inside of Jc Penney's and Targets. The managers of these studios have to work side by side with the store managers. Well the manager of the Target that my studio is located at treats my manager and her staff (including me) like we're beneath him and we have to follow his rules. One we do not work for this man and two he has no right to tell us how to run the studio. I have witness times when my manager (who is a woman) tries to talk to him about issues we are having. He either blatantly ignores her or gets in her face towering over her. It is never okay to throw around your authority like that especially when you are a six foot man talking to a 5'4" woman. Getting in to someone's face like that is just a way of trying to intimidate them in to listening to you. Thankfully my manager is a stronger woman than that and doesn't let this small minded man push her around.
            Another example is something that had recently happened to me. I am a military wife that lives right on base so I feel safe going on daily runs with my dog. He's a big dog since he is half German Shepard and half Austrian Hound. I have no issues with keeping him in line but today I had a couple run by me so I made sure I had a hold on his collar knowing how excited he is when he meets new people. Well the man decided to run right beside me so close that I could smell the sweat on him. Naturally my dog wants to be protective and nips at the guy. Turns out his teeth got caught in the mans shorts and he ripped the guys shorts. I had made sure to apologize right away for what my dog had done and reprimanded my dog on the spot. The man on the other hand tells me "Keep a better watch on your dog. I nearly just kicked his ass." One if he had remotely tried to touch my dog I would have kicked his ass even though he was over six feet tall. Two there was no need to be that hostile. I understand perfectly well that my dog had done something wrong. Normally my dog doesn't act that way so this is actually an isolated incident. The guy decides to come back after me just to tell me that in the future I should cross the street when I see someones coming towards me. He even went as far as saying that he's worried about my dog biting a chunk out of one of his four kids legs. I understand why he is worried for his children but I would never allow my dog near a child if I thought he was dangerous. My dog has been around children plenty of times and has never once hurt them even when the child is rough housing with him. This military man thought it would be all right to talk down to me like I was one of his men under him and belittle me when I tried to assure him that my dog usually doesn't do things like this. His response to this is "I don't care how your dog is usually". I wouldn't even be allowed to have my dog on base if he was remotely dangerous. I had to take him to the front office so they could meet him and approve him (ironically they have been bite by more poodles than any other bred). I'm sorry if this part comes off as a rant but I did not appreciate the way this military man spoke to me with his wife standing a few feet behind him. If she remotely agreed with him she would have been standing beside him. Wouldn't you stand beside someone if you agreed with what they are doing? 
             I think there are some men in our society that need to take a strong hard look at the way the talk/treat women. We are just as capable as a man to do anything they can. For those men out there that do treat women without respect try looking at yourself in a mirror. Would the woman who raised you be proud of the man you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment